Position: Early/Primary Years Teacher (1)
Location: Chief Mistawasis School
Apply By: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Reports to: Principal/Director of Education
To create a class environment favourable to learning and personal growth; to establish
effective rapport with students; to motivate students to develop skills, attitudes and
knowledge need to provide a good foundation for upper elementary grade education in
accordance with each student’s ability; to establish good relationships with parents and
other staff members.
- Maintain accurate and complete student records, and prepare reports on children
and activities, as required by Mistawasis Nehiyawak policies, and administrative
- Confer with parents, administrators, testing specialists, social workers, and
professionals to develop individual educational plans designed to promote
students’ educational, physical, and social needs
- Employ special educational strategies and techniques during instruction to
improve the development of sensory and perceptual-motor skills, language,
cognition, and memory.
- Teach personal development skills such as goal setting, independence, and selfadvocacy,
and prepare students for later grades.
- Meet with other professionals to discuss individual students’ needs and progress
- Observe and evaluate students’ performance, behaviours, social development,
and physical health.
- Attend professional meetings, educational conferences, and teacher training
- Have strong background in the areas of literacy and numeracy.
- Ability to effectively intertwine Indigenous content into curriculum.
- Strong collaboration skills to enhance academic outcomes.
- A commitment to differentiated instruction.
- Have excellent classroom management skills.
- Plan and supervise class projects, field trips, visits by guest speakers, or other experiential activities, and guide students in learning from those activities.
- Select, store, order, issue, and inventory classroom equipment, materials, and supplies.
- Participates in curriculum development programs as required.
- Perform all other acts reasonable and necessary to accomplish their primary unction as requested by the Principal/Director of Education.
Qualifications and Skill
- Minimum education degree (B.Ed.)
- Saskatchewan Teacher’s Professional A certificate
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues, and with other agencies
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Must possess a good working knowledge of technology
- Valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle
- Valid First Aid/CPR/AED
- Knowledge and understanding of First Nation Communities and their culture
- Ability to understand and/or speak the Cree language is considered an asset
Please submit cover letter, resume, and reference to: mistawasislBCHR@gmail.com or fax (306) 466-2361
For further information contact:
Principal- Chief Mistawasis School
Phone: (306) 466-5501